Organ Update - October 2022
The theme for this past month has been “boxes”. A noted trend throughout this installation is that we build boxes and make them so they don’t leak air. Then we drill holes in those boxes and seal them up again. It is an interesting pattern… The boxes needed are manifolds that will attach on either side of chests. On one side, you have “feed” manifolds. This is where wind lines will connect, coming from reservoirs at the appropriate pressure for each rank. The other end of the chest calls for another box, where tremulants will be connected to. One modification was made to the original feed manifold on the main chest. That modification was the installation of a piece of wood that separates the clarinet and diapason from the flute and strings. This is so that those two ranks can live on their own wind supply and tremulant, a desired modification from a musical perspective.
To continue to make strides in the winding department, a lot of PVC pipe and flanges have been acquired, including various fittings that will be needed. Our basement is starting to look like the plumbing aisle in Home Depot. To close out talking about winding, Ryan Mueller finished rebuilding the two reservoirs that needed TLC. Thanks Ryan!
Another accomplishment is on the hauptwerk end of things. I was able to successfully chase out two bugs that were causing a popping sound as well as a buzz. Both are now eliminated, which makes it so much more enjoyable to play!
Finally, I have started to give the Chrysoglott the surgical tubing treatment. The issue is that some of the notes make more of a thud than a ping sound. In other words, they self-dampen almost immediately, rather than reverberate. As the Chrys is getting played more, this thud sound has gotten quite annoying. Insert a new felt punching and a piece of surgical tubing. The difference is amazing! While the first bar came off, I decided to get the steel wool out again to polish it up. Still debating whether or not that was a good move since it sticks out now. I guess I’ll have to do the rest of the notes!
Leave a Reply.
Check out this page for project updates!